In order for you to become a video game developer, you need to do the following:
- Play several video games as much as you can: By doing this, you will be able to get ideas for your own game development. Most developers get their game ideas from the ones they played previously. So, you need to develop that passion for gaming in order to be a creative and fulfilled game developer. Also, stay up to date to latest video games.
- Acquire knowledge: Get a degree in graphic design or programming. You won’t get too much in the developers’ world if you don’t know how to code or design. Hence, you need to acquire knowledge in computer science. You can focus on 3D modelling because most of the contemporary games are in 3D. 2D games are now things of the past. Though they still exist, but they have been displaced by 3D video games.
- Specialize in one area: as it has been discussed above, being a programmer or graphic designer only is not sufficient to develop a video games. There are some many group or teams that comes together to develop video games. Some are the graphic designers, programmers, audio managers, and so on. Focus on one area where you want to be an expert or professional. Is it graphics or coding? Whichever you think you will be good at.
- Get employed: You be an independent developer, but your skill will be more appreciated and sharpened if you find a job that relates to your skill. Look out for a company that will hire you for game developing purpose. There you will also find other developers like you and you tends to learn from them as well as share your knowledge with them.
- Create your own game: Yes, you heard it right. As simple as that, go ahead and create your own game. You won’t know what you’re capable of if you don’t give it a try. Create your own project and learn from your mistakes, if there be any. Start with simples ones before moving on to complex games.